Tottenham Hotspur went into right now’s house match towards Wolves realizing that it was an excellent alternative to halt a reasonably dispiriting slide and reestablish themselves as stable contenders for high 4 within the Premier League. As an alternative, they acquired punched within the mouth, once more. Wolves scored two first half objectives, one every from Raul Jimenez and Leander Dendoncker, each from poor defensive errors, and regardless of having nearly all of the possession and quite a few possibilities, Spurs couldn’t discover their method onto the scoresheet. The ultimate rating was a dispiriting 2-0 house loss, and Antonio Conte has extra questions than solutions together with his Tottenham crew.
Listed here are my notes from this match.
- For the second straight match Tottenham’s largest drawback was the “axis of evil” on the precise facet. That mixture of Doherty, Lucas, Winks, and Sanchez was simply extremely poor, and Wolves knew it.
- That first Wolves aim was all on Hugo. Winks didn’t shut out his man to contest the primary shot, however Hugo had two alternatives to catch the ball and opted to punch (poorly) each occasions. IDK what he was doing.
- The second Wolves aim was a crew screw-up nevertheless it was began once more by Hugo with an terrible cross. Ben Davies’ clearance was a colossally unhealthy resolution (simply put it out to the touch!) after which it was clown sneakers pinball till the ball hit the again of the online.
- Conte made the emergency early sub and tactical swap, however Ryan Sessegnon didn’t should get hooked so early. Poor man. He was the one defender (together with Romero) who was not unhealthy on the market. Hopefully Conte stated one thing good to him as an apology.
- Spurs shifted right into a 4-2-3-1 after the sub with Kulusevski taking part in off of Kane and Davies at LB. It began a interval the place there was particular enchancment, although Tottenham couldn’t end a lot of the possibilities they created.
- Once more, one of many largest points was that the midfield was simply not offering a lot service to Son and Kane. Winks was once more terrible, tons of giveaways, dribbled previous a lot of occasions, even when he did win a few free kicks within the 2nd half.
- Let’s have a slight silver lining on this darkish cloud: each of Spurs’ new signings have been good on the day. Bentancur seems to be like he deserves to be beginning each match from right here on out, and Kulusevski was brilliant and labored arduous in possession.
- Spurs had a lot of the ball within the second half however their ending was simply… off. Sonny was uncharacteristically wayward, Kulusevski put a golden likelihood broad, Romero had an open header saved by Sa, and Kane’s possibilities have been contested or hit straight on the keeper. Loads of alternatives to get again into the match, Spurs simply didn’t end them.
- Good right now: Bentancur, Kulusevski, Romero, Kane. Dangerous: Sanchez, Doherty, Winks, Lucas, Son.
- Spurs’ subsequent three league matches are away to Metropolis, away to Burnley, and away to Leeds. This might get ugly. Soccer is a horrible sport, 0/10, don’t advocate.